TACTICAL COMPOSURE. We think better, feel better, communicate better and perform better when we’re in a state of calm, composure and clear thinking.
We wanted to highlight one of our flagship resilience programs supporting leader and employee performance and wellbeing. With workplace mental health and wellbeing a key driver for 2020 – more organisations will be looking for skills training that goes beyond mental health literacy and toolbox talks, and can be swiftly transferred to work and home life.
THE TACTICAL COMPOSURE PROGRAM is an engaging, strengths-based program that teaches a set of proven composure tactics, that build resilience, calm, focus. The tactics also create a buffer to stress, anxiety and depression. Flow on effects to productivity, communication and wellbeing are also expected, if tactics are practiced over time.
As an effective behavioural response, TACTICAL COMPOSURE is the action of deliberately applying composure and preparation tactics in order to manage potentially stressful or demanding situations, that are likely to recur. This involves recognising recurring things that bother us, reframing our thoughts around them, regulating our tension levels down toward the ‘green zone’ and responding with a chosen approach that’s likely to serve us and the situation well.
What participants have said:
- I’ve become more observant and aware
- I can notice myself getting triggered and not react
- I’m just more calm and focused – letting distractions go
- I successfully used the tactics at home with my family
- I used the tactics to help with a very demanding work situation
- I could wind down and get to sleep better
- I feel more ‘present’ and productive – a sense of self-control
- I have a stronger sense of wellbeing and ability to managed stressful triggers
- I feel more connected to colleagues and family
- I was able to relax on cue and not get overwhelmed by frustrations
- I noticed my deliberate composure influenced others positively
Participants may focus on achieving one or more of these tactical short-term or longer-term objectives:
- Improved ability to self-regulate towards a state of calm alertness and clear thinking, regardless of daily hassles.
- Improved ability to maintain composure in the face of challenging situations: to face up to these situations, stay there, pay attention on purpose and NOT REACT (negatively).
- Improved ability to identify triggering situations and to prepare effective tactics to maintain composure, responsiveness and constructive actions – before, during and after the situation.
- Improved overall wellbeing, health, productivity and daily mindfulness and composure.
COMPOSURE is the state of being calm and in control of oneself. Think cool, clear and centred. TACTICAL relating to small-scale actions serving a larger purpose. Think practical, reliable, mobile.
Participants learn practical exercises – including how to:
- Recognise tension and typical triggers
- Reduce their tension and stress
- Refocus their attention on purpose
- Relax their body quickly and discreetly
- Rehearse how to respond to tense situations
- Reconnect to positive tactics that work for individuals
- Respond, rather than react to things
- Reframe their thinking to reduce frustration
- Refresh their everyday wellbeing
The TACTICAL COMPOSURE experience allows participants to choose from a set of composure skills (tactics) that:
- Are collated into a tactical composure exercise plan, transferable to work and life, supported by buddies and peers
- Can be applied in the heat-of-the-moment: Recognising Tactics, Regulating Tactics and Refocusing Tactics
- Based on formal relaxation, thinking and attention regulation exercises, proven to regulate the nervous system.
- Draw from established and reputable psychological practices, theory and research in the areas Cognitive Therapy, Stress Management, Self-awareness, Resilience, Mindfulness and Health Sciences.
The program is primarily provided in group-based format for workplaces and community organisations, over the course of a few days (separated by 4-6 weeks of exercises). We can tailor the format to suit the operational and cultural needs of the group depending your objectives for the program. Composure skills (tactics) are demonstrated in-session, learned quickly and immediately transferrable into one’s work and home life. Tactical Composure uses a practical, scientific, positive, strengths-based approach and language to bypass the barriers of cynicism, detachment, denial and stigma and that can be experienced by employees who are wary about the idea of modern mental health programs.
Benefits to the workplace
- A tangible way to boost productivity and wellbeing.
- A sensible and ready component of your workplace wellbeing program.
- People walk away feeling calmer and more confident, with specific tactics.
- An engaging, practical way to develop composure skills, backed by science.
- Reduce the risk of stress and conflict, increase mental wellbeing and resilience.
Read more about the Benefits of Tactical Composure for individual effectiveness and wellbeing.
The program founder is a Masters-trained psychologist, skilled in the design of group programs, CBT-group-based treatment programs, and a Certified Practitioner of Applied Mindfulness (by The Australian Institute of Applied Mindfulness).
We’re really proud and excited about the development of the Tactical Composure program and how it can play its part in supporting Mentally Healthy Workplaces.
FIND OUT MORE: Email the program leader at firstname.lastname@example.org or ASK YES for more detail about how Tactical Composure Training could support your leaders, your people and your business.